When I say this stuff is easy, I mean it. And this time I REALLY mean it! One of my favorite projects is our faux roman shade window treatments. All you need is fabric you love, hemming tape (that I've mentioned before), a couple cup hooks and a small amount of ribbon.

I'm sharing the steps, including pictures, so you can see how easy it is for yourself!

Step 1: Cut your fabric to the length/width you need -- for a standard window, a yard is plenty. Hem the sides, making the top a rod pocket using your hemming tape. (I just use tension rods to hang these -- less than $2 each!)


Step 2: Put cup hooks at whatever spot on the wall you want the folds to hang from. You will only need one set of hooks. (One on each side.) I hang mine higher so the treatment doesn't hang too low into the window.



Step 3:
Here's where the ribbon comes in. Cut it to the length you want, and hand sew it on at the exact same spot on both sides of the fabric. The length of the ribbon will depend on how far down you want your pleats to hang. For this project, the ribbon was about two inches for the top pleat, about three or four inches for the bottom pleat. I use a button on the front to give it something to really grab on to and it's decorative. (Even though you really can't see the button when done.)

Here it is from behind:


Step 4: Add ribbons at the lengths you want -- in my bay window I wanted three folds, so three sets of buttons/ribbon. In the kitchen window I only wanted two, so there are two sets. Take the ribbon up behind the fabric and hang it on the cup hook, a fold at a time.

This is the finished product!!


Here's another example: (this one had three pleats, but I made one shorter and some longer by placing the first two short ribbons up high, the remaining one's were longer and placed lower.)
I added trim along the bottom, but even without, they turn out beautiful! I love that you can do this with a fabric you really want to use. They are even operational -- you can just take the ribbon loops off the hooks to lower them. I made the shades in our bay window long enough to cover the whole window, which is nice for privacy if you need it. Also, depending on your window, you may want to add lining to the back of your fabric.
If you have any questions, let me know! It really is sew simple. (I KILL me!) Each one will take an hour or two -- depending on the size. The cost really just comes from the fabric -- I did these with a few yards of fabric and a lot of patience! Good luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top